The Czech Republic’s largest city, Prague which is also the Czech capital, is a magical city of bridges, gold-tipped towers, cathedrals, and church domes. Lying on the Vltava River , it proudly exhibits the cobbled lanes, countless church spires, walled courtyards, music, cultural art and fine dining areas. Founded during the later part of the 9th Century, the city immensely flourished under Charles IV who ordered the construction of many buildings under his rule. Many of these attractive and historically important marvels exist even today, unblemished.
Prague is one of the most favorite destinations among tourists visiting Europe. During the Second World War, lesser damage was done to this city; hence the varied collections of architecture marvels still remain in pristine conditions even today. The city of Prague has some remains of every era may be Roman, Gothic, the Renaissance, the Baroque, Neo – Gothic, Cubist etc.
Popular Destinations of Prague:
- Prague Castle: Provides some of the best and amazing views of the city. Considered, by the Guinness World Records as one of the biggest ancient standing castle, the site has the St. Vitus Cathedral, the Castle Picture Gallery, several Museums and the Royal Garden. Do try to watch the guard’s duty changeover for the “Presidential Guards”.
- Charles Bridge: This bridge is very much crowded and connects the Old Town and Lesser Town. One of the most beautiful structure, its origin dates back to 14th Century. Do visit it during the day time to find the musicians playing some lovely music, jewelers and artists selling beautiful artifacts and paintings.
- Old Town: Considered to be the city’s historic centre, it has several buildings of immense architectural value and some amazing monuments such as the Astronomical Clock, Gothic Church, Storch building covered with murals, Old Town Hall and the Jan Hus monument. If you like theatres, then do visit the neoclassical Estate Theatre famous for the first time performance of Mozart’s “Don Giovanni” opera. St. James Church and Church of Our Lady before Týn are a few churches present in this part of Prague. At the Old Town Square one can surely enjoy a wide range of beers such as Budvar, Staropramen, Rohozec, Urquell, and Lev.
- New Town: It is an extension of the old town with modern amenities. Wenceslas Square, a rectangular square, is famous for its commercial stalls, shop and several dinning and food joints. The amazing National Museum is also situated here. Among the historical monuments parks and arcades, dance and party freaks can also find some trendy discos in here. Once at Wenceslas Square, do visit the Disney-colored Jubilee Synagogue and surely enjoy the panoramic views of the Henry Tower.
Amazing Experiences to have at Prague:
- Drinking some brown frothy liquid: One can enjoy drinking Gambrinus, Kozel’s Medium, Pilsner Urquell. Czech beer is really amazing and people here enjoy drinking it more than any other activity.
- DOX – Movement of Contemporary Art: One can also enjoy art from a modern perspective at the Dox art centre which was opened in the year 2008. On visiting Dox one can surely feel that, art is not boring, as far as modern art is considered but it is really an amazing and awesome thing to mankind.
- Perfect Photographer, Complete Picture: There are lot many things to be done for a photography enthusiast at Prague. Due to the presence of some amazing attractions, Prague is a photographer’s dream come true. One can enjoy clicking the churches, locals, bridges and some amazing architectural marvels of this part of world. Organizations such as the Prague House of Photography help the local photographers to thrive on the attractions and attract world attention towards the city through their photography skills.